Hare Krishna Prabhus and Matajis,
Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!
The most auspicious Kartik month begins on 13th October and ends on 11th November, 2019. It’s a wonderful period of the year to deepen one’s devotion with Lord Krishna. The Padma Purana describes the month of Kartika as Krishna’s favorite month. The presiding deity for the month is Srimati Radharani as Srila Rupa Goswami refers to Radharani as Kartika-devi, the goddess of Kartika.
Skanda Purana says “karttike tu vratasyoktam phalam janma-satanugam”. Meaning, devotional activities performed during the holy month of Kartik are rewarded with greater spiritual results that will last for 100 lifetimes. So, devotees often take vows to increase their spiritual practices or to simplify their material needs for the entire month. It is a way that they can remember Krishna more and increase their loving service to Him.
Here are some suggestions/inspirations on the type of spiritual activities we can do during Kartik-maasa:
- 1. Daily sing the Damodarastakam-prayer and meditate on its meaning.
- 2. Daily offer a pure ghee-lamp to Radha-Damodara with love & devotion, this glorifies Lord Krishna’s pastime of being bound with ropes by Mother Yashoda
- 3. Daily worship, water, circumambulate and chant in front of Tulasi Devi and pray for pure bhakti
- 4. Daily hear Hari-Katha from Srimad Bhagavatam
- 5. Chant extra rounds of Hare Krishna maha-mantra on your beads and perform Sankirtana.
- 8. Observe all the festivals during the Kartik-maasa such as Govardhan Puja, Diwali, etc. (“Festivals are the mother of devotion.”)
- 9. Give in charity to deserving Vaishnavas/Brahmanas.
- 10. Daily recite Sri Siksastakam and Upadesamrta and deeply meditate on the meaning of the verses.
I wish you lots of devotional inspiration and deep spiritual realizations this month!
Radha Damodar ki jai!!
Yashoda Maiya ki jai!!
Kartik Maasa ki jai!!